Mike Leake has given us an updated version (see the entire post) of Richard Baxter’s valuable response to a deadly condition:
- Remember the majesty of the One you are hardening yourself against. You dare not respond to a king with such indifference—how much more the Living God?
- Consider the seriousness and nature of eternity.
- Ponder your deathbed and the judgment of Christ. “No man will stand before the Lord in the day of judgment, with a sleepy or a senseless heart.”
- Think often of the love of God in Christ.
- Look upon the end of your hardened heart; namely, the death of the soul.
- Take notice of the sad effects in the world which comes from a hard heart.
- Sit under passionate preaching and get around passionate Christians.
- Let tender-hearted Christians instruct you, and not be a witness against you.
- Avoid company which tends to harden your heart.
- Take heed of willfully sinning against knowledge.
- Be cautious of a dull familiarity with the powerful means of grace.
- Go to a graveyard or to a deathbed.