I’m always intrigued by lists such as these. I like seeing which books have influenced other people and whether there are any that I own and/or have read. If you know me or have read this blog for any length of time, you’re certain to know that I have a particular regard for the person and work of Dr. Piper, so it shouldn’t come as any great surprise that I was greatly interested in seeing what his list would look like. (HT:MT)
Here’s the abbreviated version. You can see the full list here.
- The Bible
- Daniel Fuller - Hermeneutics and The Unity of the Bible
- E.D. Hirsch – Validity in Interpretation
- Mortimer Adler and Charles Van Doren – How to Read a Book
- C.S. Lewis
- Jonathan Edwards
- George Ladd – A Theology of the New Testament and The Presence of the Future
- Other authors – including G.K. Chesterton (here & here), William Wordsworth, Paul Tournier, John Calvin, Leonhard Goppelt, Bill Piper (my father), Stuart Hackett and Clyde Kilby still come to my mind.